Book of Tobit Chapter Two

 

2:1.      When I returned home

my wife Anna was returned to me

together with my son Tobias

at the feast of Pentecost

the holy seven week feast.

A nice dinner was prepared

and I sat down to eat.

 

2:2.      When I saw the abundance of food

I told my son

to give to whatever poor man

you find among our brothers

being mindful of the Lord

and then carry it to him.

 

2:3.      When he returned he said:

Father I found one of our people

he was beaten up

and thrown out of the town square.

 

2:4.      Before I ate anything

I got up and took him to his room

until the sun went down.

 

2:5.      When I returned

I washed myself

and ate my food in sorrow.

 

2:6.      Remembering Amos’ teachings he said:

Your feasts will turn into mourning

and all your mirth will become lamentation.

 

2:7.      Then I wept.

As the sun went down.

I dug a grave

and I buried his body.

 

2:8.      Yet my neighbors mocked me saying:

This man is not afraid

to be put to death for this

He ran away

and then he buried

the dead once again.

 

2:9.      That same night

when I returned from the burial

I slept by the wall

within my courtyard.

I felt tarnished

and felt exposed.

 

2:10.     I didn’t know

there were sparrows in the wall.

As my eyes were open

the sparrows pooped

right into my eyes

and my eyes were covered

over with whiteness.

I went to the physicians

but they couldn’t help me.

Thankfully Achiacharus fed me

until I arrived in Elymais.

 

2:11.     Then Anna my wife

began doing her work.

 

2:12.     When she finished the work

the owners paid her wage

and then handed her a goat.

 

2:13.     Then when she came home

she began to cry.

I asked her:

Where did this goat come from?

Was it not stolen?

Because it is not lawful

to eat something that is stolen.

 

2:14.     But she replied to me:

It was given as a gift

and is more than wages.

But I did not believe her

but asked her to ask the owners

and was upset with her.

But she answered me:

What about your charity

and your righteous deeds?

And consider your works.