Book of Tobit Chapter Three

 

3:1.      I was concerned and wept

and in my sadness I prayed:

 

3:2.      O Lord, you are righteous

and all Your deeds

and all Your ways

are merciful and pure

and You are the true

and just judge for eternity.

 

3:3.      Please remember me

and watch over me

and forgive me

for my errors and ignorance

and the errors of my fathers

who have erred before You.

 

3:4       For they did not

follow Your instructions

so this has damaged us

and imprisoned us to die

all for the wisdom of reproach

among all the people

among whom we are spread.

 

3:5.      And yet Your judgments

are pure and justified

against me according

to my errors and my fathers’

because we did not follow

Your instructions

nor have we walked

in truth before You.

 

3:6.      So therefore be just to me

and take my spirit

away from my body

so my presence here will dissolve

and my body will become earth.

Because it is better

to die than to live

for I have heard many lies

and have much sorrow.

Therefore instruct me

so that I might be delivered

from this distress

and go to the eternal place.

Please don’t turn away from me.

 

3:7.      Then the same day

in the village of Ecbatane

in of region of Sara

the daughter of Raguel

was also shamed

by her father’s maids.

 

3:8.      For she had married

a total of seven husbands

and they were killed by Asmodeus

who had a wicked spirit

before they slept with her.

Did you not know they said?

That he strangled your husbands?

You had seven husbands

but you were not given

any of their names.

 

3:9.      Why would you beat us

because of them?

If they are dead

then go your own way

and not let us see you

or your son or daughter.

 

3:10.     When she heard these things

she was very sad

so she thought about suicide.

But then she said:

I am the only daughter

of my father.

If I do this

it will only bring him shame

and I will carry his sadness

with me into the grave.

 

3:11.     Then she prayed

leaning into a window:

O Lord my God

You are sacred

and Your holy and glorious Name

is sacred and praised forever.

May all Your deeds

be praised for eternity.

 

3:12.     Now, O Lord, I focus my eyes

and turn toward thee.

 

3:13.     And I ask:

Remove me from this earth

so I may no longer hear

of this shame.

 

3:14.     Surely Lord you know

that I am not wicked to humans.

 

3:15.     And that I never corrupted

my name nor my father’s name

within the land I captured.

I am my father’s only daughter

he had no other children

nor other family members

nor any son born to him

who could have married

someone like me.

But my seven husbands

have already died

so why should I live?

If this doesn’t please You

then I should die.

Give me some instructions

and take pity on me

so that I will feel no more shame.

 

3:16.     Thus both their prayers were heard

by the majesty of the Supreme Being.

 

3:17.     Then Raphael was sent

to heal them both

and to cleanse Tobit’s eyes

and give Sara the daughter of Raguel

as a wife to Tobias

the son of Tobit

and to bind Asmodeus

who was a wicked spirit

because she belonged to Tobias

by right of inheritance.

During this time Tobit returned

and entered into his house

then Sara the daughter of Raguel

came down from her upstairs room.