Book of Tobit Chapter One

The Book of Tobit

Chapter One

 

1:1.      These are the teachings Tobit

the follower of Tobiel

the follower of Ananiel

the follower of Aduel

the follower of Gabael

a follower of Asael

from the congregation of Nephthali.

 

1:2.      During the time of Enemessar

the king of the Assyrians

he was led captive

out from Thisbe

nearby the village

called Nephthali in Galilee

north of Aser.

 

1:3.      I Tobit have walked

all the days of my life

in the ways of truth and justice

aided my brothers

and my people

who followed me to Nineveh

into the land of the Assyrians.

 

1:4.      Now when I was

in my own country

in the land of Israel

when I was young

all the followers

of my teacher Nephthali

fell from the temple

chosen by followers of Israel

so all the other followers

would make offerings there

where the temple

honoring the most High

was consecrated

and built for eternity.

 

1:5.      Now all the followers

had together revolted.

And the followers

of the teacher Nephthali

made offerings to the idol Baal.

 

1:6.      But I alone went often

to Jerusalem for the festivals

as ordained for followers of Israel

by an eternal decree

to make offerings

of first fruits and ten percents.

In increasing amounts

I offered these

at the altar of the priests

the followers of Aaron.

 

1:7.      I gave a ten percent tithing

to the followers of Aaron

who ministered at Jerusalem.

I gave away another ten percent

each year in Jerusalem.

 

1:8.      Then a third tithing I gave

to those I was obligated to

just as Debora my father’s mother

had instructed me

due to being orphaned

by my father.

 

1:9.      Then when I came of age

and became a man

I married Anna whom I loved

and from her I brought forth Tobias.

 

1:10.     Then when we brought

our belongings to Nineve

all my brothers

and those from my family

ate the food of the atheists.

 

1:11.     Yet I myself did not eat.

 

1:12.     Because I remembered God

with all my heart.

 

1:13.     Now the most High

had been merciful to me

and honored me before Enemessar

so that I became his purveyor.

 

1:14.     So I traveled to Media

and left with Gabael

and gave ten talents of silver

to the brother of Gabrias

at the village of Rages.

 

1:15.     Once Enemessar had died

his follower Sennacherib

reigned in his stead

but his house had trouble

so I did not go into Media.

 

1:16      Then during the days of Enemessar

I gave alms to many

of my brothers

and gave food

to those who hungered.

 

1:17.     I gave clothing

to those who were needy

and if I saw any people dead

or thrown off the walls of Nineve

I buried them.

 

1:18.     So if king Sennacherib

had killed anyone who arrived

after fleeing from Judea

I buried them privately

because as in his wrath

he had killed many

and many bodies were not found

when they were looked for

on behalf of the king.

 

1:19.     Once one of the Ninevites

went to complain of me to the king

that I buried someone

and then hid them.

Knowing I was sought out

to be murdered

I withdrew in fear.

 

1:20.     Then all my possessions were taken

and I had no possessions

except my wife Anna

and my son Tobias.

 

1:21.     After 55 days had passed

two of his followers killed him

and they fled

to the Ararath mountains

and his son Sarchedonus

reigned in his stead.

He governed his father’s matters

and all of his affairs

including my brother Achiacharus

and my brother Anael’s son.


1:22.     After being invited by Achiacharus

I returned to Nineve.

Achiacharus was the cupbearer

and the keeper of the signet

and oversaw many matters

after being appointed by Sarchedonus.

He was my brother’s son.