Wisdom of Solomon Chapter Eight

The Wisdom of Solomon

Chapter 8


1.         She expands her power

from one end to another

commanding all with nectar.

 

2.         I have loved her

and have sought her out

since I was a kid

and wanted to marry her

such was my love

for her beauty.

 

3.         She glorifies her nobility

with her connection to God.

Surely does the Almighty

have great love for her.

 

4.         For she teaches knowledge

about the Supreme Being

and espouses His works.

 

5.         And if riches are desired

what is richer than wisdom

which gives everything in life?

6.         And if the senses are considered

who is a more artful performer

than she among these particulars?

7.         And if someone loves justice

her work has great virtue

for she teaches justice and temperance

prudence and fortitude

which profit everyone in life.

 

8.         And if someone desires knowledge

she knows everything in the past

and makes judgment of things to come.

She knows the intricacies of speech

and the winners of debate.

She sees the signs and miracles

before they appear

and the events that span generations.

 

9.         I am committed to bring her

with me throughout my life

knowing she keeps me informed

and comforts me

during times of grief.

10.       Because of her

I will be praised by others

and honored by the ancient ones

despite my youth.

 

11.       Thus will I have a means

to swiftly make good judgment

and please those in power

and therefore I will receive

the blessings of princes.

 

12.       They will await my pause

and look to me to speak

and will be surprised

should I speak in detail.

 

13.       It is therefore by her grace

that I will have immortality

and leave behind a memory

for those who come after me.

14  14.          And I shall provide an example

for other people who honor me.