Book of Tobit Chapter Twelve

 

12:1.     Later Tobit summoned his son Tobias

and said to him:

My son, make sure the man

who went with you

was paid his salary.

And please pay him extra.

 

12:2.     So Tobias replied:

O father, I can afford

to give him half

of all I brought back.

 

12:3.     For he has brought me back

to you safely.

He has taken care of my wife

and gave me money

and healed you as well.

 

12:4.     So the elderly man told him:

That is fair to him.

 

12:5.     So he summoned the angel

and he said to him:

Take half of all everything

we have brought back

and you can safely take leave.

 

12:6.     The angel responded to them both, saying:

Praise be to God, for He is magnificent.

Praise Him for those things

He has done for you

as witnessed by everyone around.

We are honored to praise God

and exalt His Name

and we are honored to put forth

our service to God.

Therefore we won’t hesitate to praise Him.

 

12:7.     It may be good

to keep the confidence of a king.

But it is greater

to praise the works of God.

Do that which is greater

and wickedness will not touch you.

 

12:8.     Prayer is good

with fasting and charity

in righteousness.

A little done with righteousness

is better than a lot done

with unrighteousness.

It is better to give charity

than to store away gold.

 

12:9.     Because charity can

deliver one from death

and cleanse one from wickedness.

Those who give charity

will have their righteousness

filled with life.

 

12:10.   But those who are wicked

become their own enemies in their life.

 

12:11.   Certainly I hid nothing from you.

For I told you that it was good

but it is greater

to praise the works of God.

 

12:12.   Now when you wanted

Sara to become your daughter in law

I reminded you to pray to the Holy One.

And when you buried your dead

I was with also with you.

 

12:13,   And when you didn’t delay

to get up and leave your dinner

and bury the dead

your good deed was not hidden from me

and I was with you.

 

12:14.   And now God has sent me

to heal you

and Sara your daughter in law.

 

12:15.   I am Raphael

one of the seven holy angels

which present the prayers of the saints

and enter before the glory of the Holy One.

 

12:16.   Then both of them were awed

and bowed down to the ground

in their reverence.

 

12:17.   But he told them:

Do not worry

for all will go well for you

and therefore praise God.

 

12:18.   For due not to any favor from me

but by the will of our God

did I come here.

Therefore praise Him

in all your days.

 

12:19.   All this time was I with you

yet I never ate or drank

and still you saw this vision.

 

12:20.   So therefore give thanks to God

as I will return to Him who sent me

but now write all these things

which have been done

into a book.

 

12:21.   Then he rose up

and they saw him no more.

 

12:22.   And they praised

the great and wonderful works of God

and how the angel of the Lord

had appeared before them.