Book of Tobit Chapter Ten

 

10:1.     Now his father Tobit

had counted every day

and when the journey’s

expected timeline had passed

and they did not arrive

 

10:2.     Tobit then asked:

Have they been arrested?

or is Gabael dead

and there is no one

that will give him money?

 

10:3.     Thus he was very worried.

 

10:4.     Then his wife said to him:

My son has died.

Because he hadn’t returned

she began to cry for him, saying:

 

10:5.     Now I don’t care for anything

my dear son

since I have let you go

the light of my eyes.

 

10:6      Tobit replied and said:

Hold your peace

do not worry

for he is safe.

 

10:7.     But then she said:

Hold your peace

and don’t deceive me.

My son is dead.

Then she went out every day

onto the path they traveled

and fasted during the day

and cried during the nights

as she mourned her son Tobias

throughout the 14 days of the wedding

that Raguel promised he would stay.

Then Tobias said to Raguel:

Let me take leave

as my father and my mother

don’t have to keep looking for me.

 

10:8.     But his father in law said to him:

Wait just a little bit

and I will summon your father

and they will tell him

how all is well with you.

 

10:9.     But Tobias told him:

No, let me go to my father.

 

10:10.   Then Raguel got up

and gave him Sara his wife

and half of his possessions

servants, herds and money.

 

10:11.   And he blessed them

then he sent them away saying:

May the God of heaven

give you a prosperous journey

my children.

 

10:12.   Then he told his daughter:

Honor your father

and your mother in-law

which are now your parents

so I may hear good things.

Then he kissed her.

Edna then said to Tobias:

May the Lord of heaven

restore you my dear brother

and grant that I may see your children

of my daughter Sara

before this body dies

so I may rejoice before the Lord.

Look, I will give my daughter

to you with a special trust

to keep her away from wickedness.