Book of Tobit Chapter Six

 

6:1.      They went on their way

and arrived in the evening

at the river Tigris

and they lodged there.

 

6:2.      Then the young man

went to the river to wash

and a fish leaped out of the river

and nearly devoured him.

 

6:3.      Then the angel said to him:

Grab the fish.

So the young man grabbed the fish

and pulled it to shore.

 

6:4.      Then the angel said:

Open up the fish

and remove the heart

and the liver and gall

and store them safely.

 

6:5.      So the young man did this

just as the angel instructed him.

Then after they roasted the fish

they did eat it

then they both continued their traveling

until they came near Ecbatane.

 

6:6.      Then the young man asked the angel:

Brother Azarias what use is the heart

and the liver and gall of the fish?

 

6:7.      So he told him:

Touching the heart

and the liver

may disturb some wicked spirit.

So we must roast it

before it is offered

to prevent any disturbance.

 

6:8.      As for the gall

it can be used as an ointment

for someone that is blind

to help him heal.

 

6:9.      Then they approached Rages.

 

6:10.     And the angel said to the young man:

Brother let’s lodge with Raguel

who is your cousin.

He also has an only daughter

who is named Sara.

I will look into whether

she can be given to you as a wife.

 

6:11.     Because for you

she would be appropriate

given that she is also from your tribe.

 

6:12.     And this maiden is fair and wise.

So therefore listen to me:

I will speak to her father

and when we return from Rages

we can celebrate the marriage.

Because I know that Raguel

cannot marry her to someone else

according to the law of Moses.

If so he will be dangerous

because the right inheritance

does apply to you

more than anyone else.

 

6:13.     The young man answered the angel:

I have heard, brother Azarias

that this maiden has been given away

to seven men so far

who all died in the marriage chamber.

 

6:14.     At this point I am

the only son of my father

and I worry should I go with her

I will die as those others before me

because a wicked spirit must love her.

They don’t hurt anybody

except those who went with her.

So therefore I worry that I may die

and will bring my father and mother with me

because they will be too saddened

as they have no other son

who will bury them.

 

6:15.     Then the angel said to him:

Don’t you remember the instructions

that your father gave to you

that you should marry a wife

who is from your own tribe?

So therefore hear me out

O my brother

for she shall be given to you to marry

and don’t worry about the wicked spirit

for tonight she will be given to you to marry.

 

6:16.     And when you go to the wedding bedroom

you will take the essences of perfume

together with the gall

and it will create a smoke.

 

6:17.     This will chase away the wicked

who will never return

but when you come together with her

rise up both of you

and pray to merciful God

who will have compassion for you

and save you.

Don’t worry

for she has been selected for you

from the very beginning

and you will keep her

and she will go with you.

She will also bear three children.

Now when Tobias heard these things

he came to love her

and his heart became

affectionately joined to her.