Book of Tobit Chapter Five

 

5:1.      Tobias replied and said:

Father, I will do everything

you have instructed me.

 

5:2.      But how can I receive this money

since I don’t know him.

 

5:3.      Then Tobit wrote instructions

that told him:

Find a man to travel with you

while I am still alive

and I will pay the money

so you can pay him

to go with you.

 

5:4.      Then he left to find this man.

He found Raphael the angel.

 

5:5.      But he didn’t recognize him

and he told him:

Can you travel with me to Rages?

Do you know where this is?

 

5:6.      The angel answered him:

I will go with you

and I know the way well

for I have stayed there

with our brother Gabael.

 

5:7.      Then Tobias said to him:

Wait for me

until I tell my father.

 

5:8.      Then the angel told him:

Hurry up and do it.

So he went to his father and said:

Behold, I have found someone

who will go with me.

Tobin responded:

Bring him to me

so I can know which tribe

he comes from

and whether he is trustworthy

enough to go with you

 

5:9.      So he called him

and the angel came inside

and they greeted each other.

 

5:10.     Then Tobit asked him:

Brother, can you tell me which tribe

and which family you are from?

 

5:11.     The angel replied to him:

Are you wanting a certain tribe or family

or an hired man travel with your son?

Then Tobit replied to him:

Brother I would recognize

your family and name.

 

5:12.     Then the angel said:

I am Azarias

the son of Ananias the great

and one of your brothers.

 

5:13.     Then Tobit said to him:

You are welcome, brother.

Please don’t be angry with me

because I asked about

your tribe and your family.

You are surely my brother

from an honest and good stock

as I know Ananias and Jonathas

sons of that great Samaias

because we went together to Jerusalem

so we could worship

and make offerings

and give tenths of the fruits.

They weren’t attracted to the error

of our brothers.

But you my brother

have a good foundation.

 

5:14.     But how much

shall I pay you?

What about a drachm a day

along with other necessities

like I do with my own son?

 

5:15.     Surely if you return safely

I will add something more

to your payment.

 

5:16.     Thus they were all pleased.

Then he said to Tobias:

Prepare yourself for the journey.

May God go with you.

And when his son prepared

everything for the journey

his father told him:

Go with this man

and may God

Who dwells in the sanctuary

bless you on your journey

and may the angel of God

keep you company.

So they both began their trip

together with the young man’s dog.

 

5:17.     But his mother Anna wept

and said to Tobit:

Why have you sent our son away?

Is he not the staff of our hand

who goes out and represents us?

 

5:18.     Don’t be greedy

to add money to money

instead let it be used

to raise and feed our children.

 

5:19.     For what the Almighty

has given us to live on

will suffice for us.

 

5:20.     Then Tobit said to her:

Do no worry dear lady

he will return safely

and you will lay your eyes on him again.

 

5:21.     For the good angel

will keep him company

and his journey will be successful

and he will return safely.

 

5:22.     So she stopped weeping.