The New Book of Genesis Chapter 20

 

20:1     Then Abraham traveled south

and stayed between Kadesh and Shur

then stayed in Gerar.

 

20:2     Now Abraham said

about his wife Sarah:

She is my sister.

Then Abimelech chief of Gerar

sent for and brought Sarah to him.

 

20:3     But the Almighty appeared one night

to Abimelech while he was dreaming

and spoke to him:

Surely you are lifeless

because the woman you took

is someone’s wife.

 

20:4     Abimelech hadn’t gone near her

thus he replied:

Lord would You destroy

a righteous person?

 

20:5     Didn’t he say she was his sister?

And she said he is my brother?

I acted with a clear conscience

so my hands are clean.

 

20:6     Then the Almighty spoke

to him in a dream:

Yes I know you acted

with a clear conscience.

For I also kept you

from offending Me.

Therefore I did not allow

you to touch her.

 

20:7     So return the man’s wife

for he is a prophet

and he will pray for you

and you will have life.

But should you not return her

understand you will be lifeless

both you and yours.

 

 

20:8     Then Abimelech arose

early in the morning

called his servants and told them

all the things that happened

and the men were very worried.

 

20:9     Abimelech summoned Abraham saying:

What have you done to us?

How have I offended you

that you brought on me

and on my people this great offense?

You have done things to me

that should never have been done.

 

20:10   Abimelech asked Abraham:

Why did you do this?

 

20:11   Abraham answered:

Because I thought reverence

to the Almighty

surely cannot be found here

so they will kill me

on account of my wife.

 

20:12   Besides she truly is my sister.

She is the daughter of my father

but not the daughter of my mother

and she became my wife.

 

20:13   So when the time came for me

when the Almighty encouraged me

to leave my father's household

that I said to her:

You are kind to do this for me.

In every place wherever we go

say that I am your brother.

 

20:14   Then Abimelech brought forth

sheep and oxen

male and female

and gave them to Abraham

and returned his wife Sarah to him.

 

20:15   Then Abimelech told him:

Surely my land

stretches out before you.

Live where ever you like.

 

20:16   Then he told Sarah:

I have given your brother

a thousand pieces of silver.

Certainly this vindicates you

before everyone with you.

Thus she was vindicated.

 

20:17   Then Abraham prayed to God

and the Almighty healed Abimelech

along with his wife and servants.

Then they gave birth.

 

20:18   Yahweh prevented the women

in Abimelech’s household from conceiving

because of Abraham's wife Sarah.