The New Book of Genesis Chapter 45

 


45:1     Joseph could not restrain himself

in front of all those around him.

He finally cried out:

Everyone please leave me!

This was so no one would be around

when Joseph revealed himself

to his brothers.

 

45:2     Then he cried out so loudly

that the Egyptians heard him

and Pharaoh’s household heard about it.

 

45:3     Joseph said to his brothers:

I am Joseph! Is my father still alive?

But his brothers were unable to answer

as they stood before him stunned.

 

45:4     Then Joseph said to his brothers:

Please come closer to me.

When they did this he said:

I am your brother Joseph

whom you sold into Egypt!

 

45:5     Now don’t be distressed

and don’t be angry with yourselves

because you sold me here

because God sent me ahead of you

in order to save lives.

 

45:6     For the famine has been here

for two years now

and it will be another five years

where no plowing and reaping will occur.

 

45:7     Yet God sent me ahead of you

to preserve for you a remnant on earth

saving your lives with a great escape.

 

 

45:8 Therefore it wasn’t you

who sent me to this place.

Rather it was God.

He made me a teacher to Pharaoh

and in charge of his entire household

and in charge of all of Egypt.

 

45:9     Hurry and go back to my father

and tell him that your son Joseph says:

God has put me in charge of all Egypt.

Come and visit me right away.

 

45:10   You can live in the area of Goshen

and be close to me:

You, your children and grandchildren

your flocks and herds

and everything you have.

 

45:11   I will provide for you there

for the famine will last another five years.

Otherwise you and your household

and everything you have

will become impoverished.

 

45:12   See for yourselves

as can my brother Benjamin

that it is really me who speaks with you.

 

45:13   Now you should tell my father

about the honor given to me in Egypt

and all that you have seen.

So hurry and bring my father here.

 

45:14   Then he wept

and embraced his brother Benjamin.

Benjamin also wept and hugged him.

 

45:15   He kissed all his brothers

and cried with them.

Afterward he and his brothers talked.

 

45:16   When news reached Pharaoh’s palace

that Joseph’s brothers had arrived

Pharaoh and his attendants were pleased.

 

45:17   Pharaoh said to Joseph:

Tell your brothers to load their donkeys

and go back to the land of Canaan.

 

45:18   And bring your father back

and your families back to me.

You receive the best of Egypt

and you can enjoy the fat of the land.

 

45:19   You are instructed to also bring

some wagons from Egypt

for your children and your wives

and get your father and come.

 

45:20   Don’t worry about your things

because the best of Egyptwill be yours.

 

45:21   So Israel’s sons did this.

Joseph gave them wagons

just as Pharaoh had ordered

and he gave them supplies

for their journey.

 

45:22   He gave each of them new clothing

but he gave Benjamin 300 pieces of silver

and five sets of clothing.

 

45:23   To his father he sent the following:

ten donkeys loaded with the finest Egyptian goods

ten female donkeys loaded with grain and bread

and other supplies for his journey.

 

45:24   Then he sent his brothers off

and as they were leaving he told them

not to quarrel on the journey.

 

45:25   So they traveled out of Egypt

and arrived in the land of Canaan

and stood before their father Jacob.

 

45:26   They told him:

Joseph is still alive

and he is a ruler

in the nation of Egypt.

Jacob was stunned

and did not believe them.

 

45:27   After they told him everything

Joseph had been saying to them

and when he saw the wagons

Joseph had sent to bring him back

the spirit of father Jacob was restored.

 

45:28   Then Israel said to them:

It’s amazing my son Joseph is still alive.

I will go see him before I die.