The New Book of Genesis Chapter 30

 


30:1     Rachel saw she had no kids

with Jacob she envied her sister.

So she told Jacob:

Give me children or I'll pass away.

 

30:2     Jacob was angry with her:

Am I in God’s place

having kept you from having kids?

 

30:3     Then she said:

Look at my housemaid Bilhah.

Sleep with her

so she can have children for me

giving me children through her.

 

30:4     She gave him her housemaid

Bilhah to be his wife.

Jacob slept with her.

 

30:5     Then she became pregnant

and had a son for Jacob.

 

30:6     Then Rachel said:

God has vindicated me.

He heard my plea

and gave me a son.

Thus she named him Dan (judge).

 

30:7     Then Rachel's housemaid Bilhah conceived again

and had a second son for Jacob.

 

30:8     Then Rachel said:

I have wrestled with my sister

and I have won.

Thus she named him Naphtali (wrestling).

 

30:9     When Leah saw she stopped having children

she brought her housemaid Zilpah

and gave her to Jacob to marry.

 

30:10   Then Leah's housemaid Zilpah conceived

and brought forth to Jacob a son.

 

30:11   Then Leah said:

This is fortunate.

Thus she named him Gad (fortunate).

 

30:12   Then Leah's housemaid Zilpah conceived

and brought forth to Jacob a second son.

 

30:13   Then Leah said:

Happy am I.

Women will say I’m happy.

Thus she named him Asher (happy).

 

30:14   During the wheat harvest

Reuben went to the fields.

He found some mandrake plants

and brought them to his mother Leah.

Rachel said to Leah:

Please give me some of your son’s mandrakes.

 

But she told her:

It wasn’t enough that you took my husband?

Will you take my son's mandrakes too?

Rachel replied:

Okay, he can sleep with you tonight

in return for your son's mandrakes.

 

30:16   When Jacob returned from the fields

that evening Leah met him, saying:

You must sleep with me.

I have hired you with my son's mandrakes.

So he slept with her that night.

 

30:17   And God heard Leah

and she became pregnant

and brought forth to Jacob a fifth son.

 

30:18   Then Leah said:

God rewarded me

for giving my housemaid to my husband.

Thus she named him Issachar (compensation).

 

30:19   Leah conceived again

and brought forth to Jacob a sixth son.

 

30:20   Then Leah said:

God has given me a precious gift.

Now my husband will honor me

because I have given him six sons.

Thus she named him Zebulun (exalted).

 

30:21   Later she gave birth to a daughter

and she named her Dinah.

 

30:22   God was mindful of Rachel.

He heard her

and enabled her to conceive.

 

30:23   So she became pregnant

and gave birth to a son and said:

God has taken away my disgrace.

 

30:24   She named him Joseph, saying:

May Yahweh give me another son.

 

30:25   Once Rachel bore Joseph

Jacob said to Laban:

Let me go on my way

so I can return to my homeland.

 

30:26   Give me my wives and children

for whom I have worked for you

so I can go on my way.

For you know I have

worked hard for you.

 

30:27   But Laban said to him:

If I have found your favor please stay.

For I have learned that Yahweh

has blessed me due to you.

 

30:28   He also said:

Name your wages.

I will pay them.

 

30:29   He replied:

You know how I worked for you.

And how your properties

have benefited under my care.

 

30:30   What little you had before

I came has increased greatly.

And Yahweh has blessed you

since I have been here.

But when may I provide

for my own household?

 

30:31   So he asked:

What should I give you?

Jacob replied:

Don't give me anything.

But if you do this for me

I will continue to feed

and keep tending your flocks.

 

30:32   Let me pass through your flocks

and take all the speckled or spotted sheep

every dark lamb and every spotted goat.

They will be my wages.

 

30:33   Let my righteousness bear witness

when you check the wages you paid.

Any goat in my possession

not speckled or spotted

or lamb not dark-colored

will be considered stolen.

 

30:34   Laban said to him:

It is settled then.

It will be as you have said.

 

30:35   So on that day he took out

the spotted or striped goats

both male and female

and any with white spots

along with the dark lambs.

He put them in the care of his sons.

 

30:36   Then he set off on a journey

after Jacob for three days.

Jacob tended the remaining flocks of Laban.

 

30:37   Jacob then took fresh-cut branches

from young poplar trees

hazelnut and chestnut trees.

He made white stripes on them

by peeling back the bark

to expose the white part of the branches.

 

30:38   Then he put the peeled branches

in all the flocks’ water troughs

before they came to drink.

When the flocks were hot

they came to drink.

 

30:39   The flocks mated

because of the branches.

Their young were spotted

striped and speckled.

 

30:40   Jacob separated the young

of the flock by themselves

and made the other spotted and striped

stay apart from the brown flock of Laban.

He kept his flocks separate from Laban’s.

 

30:41   When any vigorous females mated

Jacob put the branches in the troughs

Before the flocks so they mated

among the branches.

 

30:42   But for the feeble flocks

he would not place them in.

So the weaker flocks were Laban’s

and the vigorous ones were Jacob’s.

 

30:43   In this manner the man prospered

and came to own large flocks

and female and male workers

and camels and donkeys.